Monday, December 22, 2014

The Magic of a Mexican town.

Yesterday you may have spied a photo of some giant rock on my Instagram feed. If you did, then you already know that I've arrived in Mexico and I'm currently relaxing on the place I call home. 

In fact, I have been in Mexico for about three weeks now, and I have been taking a vacation from the blog in order to recover from jet lag and reunite with my Mexicans, as well as sleep all day and eat all the food I can possibly fit into myself. 

Yesterday, I went to one of my favourite places in my state: a small town called Bernal, in which rests this enormous rock, the Peak of Bernal. Also known as Bernal's Boulder, this monolith was formed about 8 million years ago (when it was presumably three times bigger than today), and is currently one of the tallest in the world. 


The town of Bernal is one of the most sought-after places by tourists, since apart from hiking/climbing the Peña de Bernal (as it is known in Spanish), one can enjoy some great food and buy loads and loads of Mexican crafts. However, the main reason why tourists and locals alike visit Bernal is because it is considered one of Mexico's Magical Villages.

One of the best things to do in Bernal is eat. Almost every restaurant has a view of the Peak, and the food ranges from simple snacks to five-course meals -all of which do a terrific job of representing Mexico's food. 


If you don't believe me, just look at these gorgeous tiny gorditas made out of corn flour, chicken, beans, lettuce, cheese and lots of salsa.


We also ate enmoladas, a sort of chicken or cheese taco soaked in mole rojo. Definitely, one of the best dishes to try while in Mexico. Of course, we couldn't miss the guacamole, could we?


Later on, we did some sightseeing and certainly a lot of shopping. There are just many beautiful things to buy around here, and seeing all the vendors displaying their art was certainly one of the things I missed most from home.


Just look at these two cuties made out of Mexican ceramic. Her, the image of a china poblana, and him the authentic charro. 


Or this lovely hand-painted Mexican landscape on a clay tile. 


Finally, I couldn't miss our beloved Catrinas, who even though it's past their time (they usually come out in Día de Muertos -Day of the Dead), look as stunning as ever.


Not to conform to the Mexican stereotypes or anything, but it seems like we're getting into the Christmas festivities already. Not that we are always festive, right?


Bernal feels specially lovely under all the Christmas lights and holly jolly vibes. 


The truth is, even when I may travel around and fall in love with new places, I would never trade this small town of mine for anything else. No wonder people say it's magical.


It feels great to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment