Thursday, February 19, 2015

A weekend inside a traditional Mexican home.

There is a little town somewhere that's filled with cobblestone streets, a main square that's bustling with the sounds of people, and street after street of traditional Mexican houses decorated with bright colours and iron-wrought balconies. 

This little town is called Tequisquiapan, and it is located in the southwestern part of the state in which I live. Since it is a quiet, peaceful town and it also houses the National Cheese & Wine Festival, it is a very popular tourist attraction filled to the brim with weekend homes.

This past weekend, my family and I decided to head for Tequisquiapan in honor of my Grandmother's birthday celebration. It is only safe for me to say that while the world was going crazy celebrating Valentine's Day, I was having the perfect getaway at a traditional Mexican house, which I then decided to share with you guys on the blog. 


So, welcome to our little piece of paradise! 

Frankly, I was really excited to get to spend the weekend with every member of my extended family. I think it's mostly because my aunts tell the most hilarious stories from their childhood & we all have a good laugh while the smell of BBQ fills in every space. 

Immediately after we arrived, my little cousins squealed at the sight of the pool. It was only so bad that the day was cloudy and cold (not that it stopped them for long, anyway). 


It was a thrill to see everyone having so much fun. There were Foosball Tournaments going on constantly and the swings/slide weren't unoccupied for long. 


Eventually, light rain started falling. The kids were exhausted and our hopes of having a bonfire had pretty much vanished. 

Thankfully, I could still hear the sounds of laughter in the kitchen and I was very surprised to come in and find my Mom and aunts gathered around the dining room table, having coffee and warm bread, and sharing stories with my oldest cousins (read, making everyone crack up with their jokes). 


The next morning I woke up surprisingly early and decided to take a stroll around the grounds, in order to snap most of the photos you see in this post. 

As usual, I was very pleased to find some quirky spots, like the well standing in a far off corner in the garden, and a hidden (very well locked) shed (?) at the very, very back of the property. 


However, my absolute favourite moment was walking through the gardens and finding out these beauties were in full bloom. 


A couple of hours later, we had all packed our bags and were all walking around Tequisquiapan's Main Square. 


Just like the City Centre at home, Tequisquiapan is full of stores and restaurants that gather tourists and locals alike. 


For the first time in a million years, I saw only one globero (balloon seller) sitting around. Presumably, since Valentine's had been the day before, he was having a pretty slow day. 


We hadn't been around too long before it was time to leave. On our way back  we passed some pretty off-beat streets with the most awesome-looking buildings. Even though we don't do it often, it's always a treat to come to this tiny, magic town. 


See you soon, Tequisquiapan. 

(And Happy [belated] Valentine's Day, everyone!)

P.S. I forgot to mention this in my last post, but I was astounded by all the positive comments I received when I wrote about not going back to India. I hadn't expected that post to have so many readers (at all!). Special thanks to those who reached out and said something particularly nice (Shout out to Dang & Saket: Your words made my day!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment