Wednesday, June 3, 2015

*No butterflies were harmed in the making of this post.

It's funny how time goes by so fast. 

Two weeks ago I was promising to update the blog often and look at me, breaking promises so soon. I have an excuse, as always, and it's just that I've been having the greatest time possible. I've been here three months (1 more to go!) and I keep on discovering places and things...it's insane.

Anyway. 

I had planned a completely different post for this week involving a video of the places where you are most likely to find me should you come to Montreal any time soon. However, given the fact that I am the Queen of Clumsiness and I can barely walk without getting run over (let alone with the camera on hand!), that will have to wait.

Meanwhile, I will share with you one of the best things I've done while in Montreal: visit the Botanical Gardens.

When I first heard about them, I wasn't really sold. Plants sound cool, but I could think of about a thousand cooler things to do with my time. That is, until I heard about the Free Butterflies Exhibit, which is when I finally dragged myself to the metro and then walked uphill for about a half hour until I reached the Gardens. 

My first stop was the Butterfly Pavilion, obviously. 


Once you cross the blue curtain that separates this area from the rest of the Greenhouse, it's like you've walked into a parallel universe.

Flowers with vivid colours cover every space. You can instantly feel the sweet smell of every flower imaginable in your nose and it doesn't even bother you. The most impressive thing, however, is the silence. There are people everywhere and yet the only thing you hear is the sound of water...and nothing else. 


It takes you a while to notice the coloured wings fluttering about...hidden in the trees, standing on a flower, silently making their way around your head. That is when you start seeing butterflies everywhere. Literally, everywhere. 

You start feeling like a huge intruder. That is, until a huge, bright-blue butterfly uses your shoulder as her resting place. From then on, mesmerised is about the only word that can describe you.


I was in the Pavilion for about an hour. At first just walking around, and then snapping photos of absolutely everything and anything that happened to be in front of my face. I really, really enjoyed being there, and saying that I was happy of how things turned out would be an understatement. Butterflies are awesome, you guys!


Afterwards I made my made through the Greenhouse (which is immense, you have no idea!). 

My favourite part had to be the Mexican Hacienda & Gardens because even though the Hacienda did not look like anything we have in Mexico, everything else is pretty accurate. I felt right at home.


Although I didn't think I would enjoy looking at plants much, the truth is the Greenhouse is too stunning not to like. Plants are very interesting creatures. 

Here are some of my favourite snaps:


If you follow me on Instagram, you might have already seen some of these photos a while ago. I took about a million of them, and there are actually many more snaps that I want to share, but since I'm afraid this post is already stuffed with photos of wings, I will be posting the rest of them on my IG during the course of the week. (You will also be able to see them here on the blog, on the left side of this page). 

I will be back soon to put you up to date with my adventures. As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment