Saturday, August 22, 2015

Sights of the Old Port (In & Out of water).

Every decent city has it's own beach. Or so Montrealers (?) say.


Now, you might remember the Clock Tower from my past post on Old Montreal. If you don't, then let me give you the inside scoop.

The Clock Tower, which is also the Lighthouse for the Old Port of Montreal, was built in commemoration for the sailors who died during World War I. The mechanism for the clock is similar to that of the Big Ben, but curiously, it never actually chimes.

It is possible to climb the Tower from the inside (for free!), and it is actually only 192 steps high. The stairs are incredibly narrow (one person at a time, only!) but the view from the top is pretty f*cking cool (even though the wind is pretty much blowing you out the sides). This is the view of the clock from the inside:


And for yet the most impressive of all the up-from-the-top views that I've shown around here lately:


From the very top, it is possible to catch a tiny glimpse of the Beach of the Clock, where for about two dollars, you can chill under the Canadian sun all day long. There is also really good music on a daily basis, and an open bar.


While I was there, I took advantage of my tourist status and went on a cruise (!!!). It was AH-MA-ZING. For starters, here is the view of the Tower from the water (I know I'm so annoying, but don't you love that thing so much?!):


And among other things I saw:


La Ronde: Montreal's amusement park on Île-St-Hélène. 


The industrial districts of Montreal, and the Olympic Tower on the backdrop!


The Jacques Cartier Bridge, which unites Montreal Island with the south shore of Longueuil.


The historical district of Montreal. For like .002 seconds there I felt back in Paris. (Isn't this so lovely?!)


And finally, Habitat 67, one of the most famous architectural landmarks in Canada and one that has generated some serious debate for redefining urban living. Once used as housing for low-income families, it is now a swanky and modern place to live in. 

Finally, I took a stroll down the Port, and used my last day in Montreal to soak up the sun and get an amazing tan ;)


Explain to me [again] how you don't fall in love with this?!

No comments:

Post a Comment