Monday, September 8, 2014

India like a local.

Last weekend, MUWCI organized several activities for us newcomers. The aim was for us to bond and get to know more places around Campus. Some of my classmates went for a hike on Mt. Wilko or the Grand Canyon, while others went on a cultural visit to a fort nearby, and the rest of us were guests on some of the closest villages.

This is my adventure.

First, we were all separated into groups depending on the village we were going to. The closest village was about 15 minutes away on foot, and the farthest one was about an hour away. Some of the village kids came to pick us up from MUWCI and we all walked all the way back to their homes. I, along with one Finn, one Canadian and one Indian, went to the closest village.

It took us about a half hour to get to the village because we stopped at Krishna's Temple first for a few minutes, but we still arrived pretty early. In fact, Deepali and Pratiksha --our hostesses, showed us around for a bit, and told us all about the several flowers and plants that they have around, including basil, to which they pray because of its healing properties.

Once we had visited their school, their temple and some of their neighbours (who were all extremely nice to us), we all went back to Deepali's to get mehndi (henna) tattoos. Both girls, Pratiksha and Deepali, are such artists!


Afterwards, the Finnish and the Canadian girls went to Pratiksha's while my Indian companion and I ate dinner with Deepali's family. Her mom and her grandma prepared the most delicious Indian food I have ever tried, although it was also very spicy (this coming from a Mexican girl who's candy is pretty much chili powder)! In India, one of the best ways to show respect and appreciation towards your guests is by feeding them, so every time our plates were close to empty, someone would serve more rice or hand out more chapati. This made it all feel like home again. Oh Mexico, I miss you so much.

A little while later, Deepali and her grandma took out some rugs. Deepali, her grandma, my Indian second-year and I, all slept there while Deepali's brothers used the sofas next to us. Before going on the Homestays, I had heard some stories about people who had had to sleep next to the cows last year, or had to endure mice climbing on the walls. Truth be told, I had a good night's sleep. I actually slept through the waking call of the rooster at 4 am and then again at 5. 

I woke up just in time to take the first chai of the day and have the last talk with Deepali and her family, who invited us to come back soon. My hostesses even came along to hug us goodbye from their village, and they waved at us while we walked back to MUWCI, skipping through the puddles and enjoying the green, green landscape of India.

Even though my family didn't speak English and I (of course) don't speak hindi (yet!), my experience wasn't uncomfortable or bad at all. This is the first time that I actually sit down to eat with someone and all we can do is smile and make hand gestures. It is actually so much fun, and I learned a lot from it. 

I learned how to put my hands together as if on prayer every time I say Namaste. I learned that Dhanyavad and Sukriya have the same meaning (thank you), but a smile is just as effective. I am finally getting used to moving to one side of the road every time I hear a honk without having to turn back or run like mad. I am finally learning how to nod like an Indian, although I feel funny every time I do it. The only thing I regret is wearing tennis shoes because it took me hours to put them back on every time I got out of a house.

Being alive feels great. Being alive and having the chance to experience the magic of this country and its people feels even better. Mexico and India have a lot more in common than what some people think.

Dhanyavad Deepali & Pratiksha!



No comments:

Post a Comment