Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Rhythm of India

Last night, MUWCI hosted a small concert & workshop on Tabla & Sitar, two of the most popular Indian music instruments. There was no way I was going to miss out on listening to these, and now I  want to share a little bit of it with you.



The Tabla is a set of two drums (you can see them on the left side of the video). Each part of the hand (that is, every finger) produces a different sound and represents a different note. The Sitar is the giant string instrument on the right, which produces the most beautiful sounds that are so characteristic of Indian music. 

Of course, my one minute video doesn't do justice to the actual beauty of the melody. One of my roomies --Dipika (my Indian/American co-year) mentioned that Indian music "vibrates through you". 

Truth be told, I can't think of a better way to describe it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment